New York Orphan – Book Group Questions
New York Orphan Podcast
- To what extent is the world better at handling the current migrant crisis than it was in 1850?
- Thomas / William tried to hide his past when the Dixon family adopted him. How could he have handled the situation differently?
- Which of the characters do you identify with most easily and why?
- Was there any other way that Daniel might have stood up to the bullies he encountered? Could he have done anything differently?
- What drives some people to stand up for others even when it means taking a risk for themselves?
- How have the themes of the book affected your own view of the world around you?
- Sarah is worried about having children lest they too grow up as orphans. How much do fears from our past affect our ability to embrace the future?
- How important was the rosary as a symbol of hope?
- Why is it so difficult to achieve equality between the sexes?
- If you could ask me, the author, one question about the book, what would it be?